A recent survey of Millennials conducted by Bridge. Over Group questioned how loyal Generation Y is to hotel brands when choosing a place to stay, and how exactly the group defines loyalty. The survey of 350 Millennials (with an average age of 26) raised some interesting points.
70 percent of Millennials born between 1980 and 2000 feel that they have less brand loyalty than their predecessors and when asked about their own customer loyalty, 81 percent said they do not feel a particular loyalty to a specific hotel brand. The remaining 19 percent who did feel a sense of loyalty to their hotels mentioned Starwood, Hilton and Marriott.
Interestingly, Generation Y see brand advocacy as proof of loyalty with 65 percent saying that frequenting a specific hotel, or choosing where to stay, is the obvious display of loyalty. Recommendations of hotels and brands follows closely behind with 58 percent of respondents saying that is also a clear sign of loyalty.
Getting value and a good deal is also cited as essential to Millennials when picking a place to stay, highlighting that they are a particularly price conscious consumers and eager to get a good ‘price – value ratio’.
The team at The Refinishing Touch has provided furniture asset management services to many reputable hotel brands such as Hilton, InterContinental, Marriott and Starwood. In our experience, innovation, creativity and forward thinking are appreciated by Generation Y and we echo the advice from eHotelier suggesting the inclusion of social elements and metrics within marketing strategies.