At The Refinishing Touch, we are constantly staying informed on the latest research findings surrounding the sustainability efforts in the hospitality, government and higher education industries. These statistics give us valuable insight into our clientele, as well as provide us with an overview of the long-term goals each sector is striving towards.
Recently, three different surveys narrowed in on hospitality’s shift towards a greener and healthier lifestyle for guests. As providers of cost-effective, sustainable refinishing and re-upholstery solutions for many world-leading hotel brands, such as Hilton, Marriott, Starwood and more, we’ve witnessed the gradual change first-hand, and the research in these surveys offer a look into probable sustainability trends of the future:
– According to a Deloitte poll of 1,000 business travelers in the US, 95% of respondents believed all hotels should be implementing green initiatives
– The same Deloitte poll showed that 35% had taken steps to determine whether a hotel was green – through online research, requesting information over the phone or other forms of research
– A 2012 Canadian Travel Intentions survey found that 42% of business travelers said that recycling and energy efficiency matter to them when making hotel accommodations
– The Canadian report also found that 42% would be willing to pay $1 or more to offset their carbon footprint during a stay at a hotel or inn
– Euromonitor listed Marriott as the most eco-friendly brand among all global hotel chains, based off of the company’s recent pledge to reduce water and energy consumption by 20% in 2020 and initiatives to reduce its overall carbon footprint
The Marriot brand demonstrated its environmental preservation efforts when calling on The Refinishing Touch’s furniture asset management to renovate existing furniture at Marriott hotels and resorts across the US, including its Renaissance Hotels and Residence Inn subdivisions. Our services helped the hotel giant save 80 percent in renovation costs, and over 90 percent in carbon emission output, when compared to buying new.
For more information on how to increase cost savings and lessen the carbon footprint at your own hotel, university or government office, request a free quote today. If you’re curious about your personal carbon emission production, then access our carbon footprint calculator here. The results may surprise you!