Five small steps to save the planet
Making a difference in the environment doesn't always have to mean creating an eco-friendly hotel or using solar cells for energy. By making just a few changes to the way you live, you can help the planet in your own small way. The EPA's Pick 5 campaign shows just how easy this can be.
The idea is simple: put into practice any five of the EPA's tips, and we'll all be better off. Keep helping out and convince your friends and family to do the same.
We chose five of our own—try them out for yourself:
• Save water: start turning off the faucet when you brush your teeth or shave, and take showers, not baths
• Reduce electricity: use programmable thermostats, fluorescent light bulbs, and Energy Star products—and don't forget to unplug things when not in use
• Recycle old electronics: bring TVs, old computers and other obsolete or broken electronics in for proper recycling, keeping hazardous e-waste out of landfills
• Rethink your commute: walking and riding a bike are both great ways to get exercise and reduce air pollution, and riding public transportation or carpooling help reduce emissions
• Use chemicals safely: compare products and check labels to make sure the pesticides, paints and cleaning agents you use don't hurt the environment, and remember to dispose of them properly
You’ve seen our choices, now pick five of your own and spread the word.